Our villa is on four acres of spectacular lakefront shoreline of Lough Mask, with its own boat pier, and is within two miles of Ballinrobe town, County Mayo, Ireland. It is approximately one hour's drive from Galway City, two hours' drive from Shannon Airport, three hours from Dublin.
The lough is known worldwide for its excellent freshwater fish, and is home to the World International Fly-Fishing Championship, held each May just next door on the Cahir Pier. Our home is in a designated Euro-Zone Special Protection Area, host to wildlife and waterfowl from all over the planet, such as white swans, gulls, geese, and tufted ducks of Irish national importance, among many other smaller species.
If the lough does not lure you with its fishing, swimming, or boating possibilities, this lovely weekly-rental home is located within a few miles of the following attractions the West of Ireland is famous for:
- Ashford Castle, gardens and grounds, and falconry
- Town of Cong, Mayo, with its medieval abbey, where The Quiet Man movie was filmed, starring John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara
- Lough Corrib, where great salmon, in addition to freshwater fish like trout can be found, with boat tours of the lake available, and a historic island monastery of the 5th Century A.D. can be found
- Shrine to Our Lady of Knock, in Knock, Mayo
- Croagh Patrick, Ireland's holiest mountain
- The Party Mountains of County, Mayo, and The Maamturk Mountains, and Twelve Bens of County Galway, visible from nearly every window of this home, are perfect for hiking and enjoying the vistas of both Lough Mask and Lough Corrib
- Connemara National Park, town of Leenane, where The Field was filmed; Killary Harbor, with its 45-minute boat ride to the ocean from Ireland's only fjord; The Kylemore Abbey and Gardens, spectacular lakefront convent and school where the nuns make unique Irish pottery, farm the land, and worship in an ancient church; Patrick Pearse's cottage in Ros Muc;
- Fabulous golf courses all around Counties Mayo and Galway.....